Four walls and a keyboard
'I love talking about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about.' ~ Oscar Wilde
Wednesday, September 05, 2007
Going out with a bang
Things have been busy the past few weeks and right now I am in Accra with mixed feelings. I am excited to see everyone at home, but I don't want to leave my friends here. Well, I guess I can't change things!

I've said a lot of goodbyes in Kpandai, Salaga and Tamale, and I've been given a lot of cloth and other presents to remember people by. Even the Kpembe wura (the paramount chief for Gonjas), gave Jeanine and I some Gonja cloth to remember the East Gonja District. We must have made quite the impression, because Imoro remarked that's the first time the Wura gave anything to SEND interns!

My bus ride down to Accra was a little frightening and ironic, given that STC has the safest driving record and it was my last bus ride in Ghana. We got into a serious accident at Nkawkaw, about two hours from Accra. The bus hit a coal truck that had tipped on the highway and it crushed in the bus on the driver's front side, all the way up to the first row of passengers. They had to send the driver and one passenger to the hospital in serious condition, but everyone else as okay. We had to wait on the side of the road for four hours for the bus company to send another bus for us. That was the most frightening part of the incident. Other buses and yam lorries had the same difficulty seeing the accident as our bus driver did, and weren't slowing down very fast, except that now all of us passengers were standing on the side of the road with nowhere else to go if a vehicle decided to run into the guardrails to prevent hitting the lorry or our bus. I almost had a heart attack a few times when the headlights flashed right on us!

I got into Accra a tad late because of this, but now things are ho hum. Abdallah is coming down tomorrow so that we can spend some time together before I fly out. I said I would wait for him at the bus station tomorrow night.

Given that I'll have a 12 hr layover in London, I'll have plenty of time to blog while I'm there!
posted by angelina @ 5:56 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have a safe trip home

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Me, Myself, and I

Alias: angelina
Where I'm at: Kpandai, Northern Region, Ghana
In 500 words or less: I am now done my schoolin' and you may all call me Master! I'm currently livin it up in a small town in Northern Ghana, and it's a blast being the only 'obruni' (white) in town!
Step into my mind, if you dare
Previous Whinings
The Closet
Shoutbox

'Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.' ~ Tehyi, Hsieh

My Faves
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER