Four walls and a keyboard
'I love talking about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about.' ~ Oscar Wilde
Monday, August 07, 2006
Crisis averted
So yeah, the whole power cord thing kinda turned into a mini-fiasco.

I didn't get any work done this weekend- but whatever it was enjoyable. I basically hung out with my parents this weekend at the cabin, we watched some M*A*S*H episodes, and read. The cabin is like this time capsule, probably because we only get there every few weekends, so nobody feels compelled to organize papers, magazines, etc. I found some People magazines from 1996-1998 so I rediscovered the drama behind the Brad Pitt/Gwyneth Paltrow split, and the mania surrounding Beverly Hills 90210 at the end of it's run, among other celebrity tidbits. Did you also know that sparkly eyeliner was THE hot look for the summer of 1997?

I was also in redneck heaven yesterday when I went with Mom and Dad to the Mudbog tournament. For those with more discriminating tastes, Mudboggin' is a contest where old souped up 4x4 trucks attempt to plow through a 200 metre 'mud bog' in the fastest time, or failing that, get as close to the end as possible. There were about 20 trucks in the contest and I seriously lost my mind over it! There were some trucks that got so stuck in the bog that there was mud up to the hood. Lots made it through and that was very impressive, haha. There was also a contest for quad runners, but that wasn't as exciting to me. You basically watched a quad spin it's tires for about 10 minutes until it hit a solid spot and then it would push through. I got super sunburnt and have the always sexy sunglass line near my eyes. Yeah.

Last night we visited some old family friends from Viscount that moved away when I was still in school. They have a cabin up at the same lake and I haven't seen them in a while. They're such a genuinely nice couple that I always enjoy seeing them. Their (very cute) son, who is a pilot in the Maldives, was also there this weekend but unfortunately we missed seeing him by 15 minutes, as he wasn't feeling well and went back to his house- dang!

Anyway, the power cord....well I thought it was in Muenster at the college, so today I went right there after I left the cabin. No cord in my office. I drive back into Saskatoon, and this detour out to Muenster extended my trip by about 3 hours. I tear my bedroom apart and no cord. So I am starting to lose my mind because I really need my cord for thesis revisions, my computer battery is essentially dead. I called Compusmart for a replacement and they said they had a generic version available but that I should bring my computer in to make sure it was compatible. When I get there I speak to another salesman who tells me that he's 'very sorry but we don't carry power cords...you might have luck at Future Shop.' WTF?

I drive to future shop, stand in the computer department for about 10 minutes, finally track down a salesman who tells me he doesn't work in the computer department. I go to the computer repair desk, and the guy tells me that I don't want to buy a power cord from them because they're three times more expensive than what I could get from the manufacturer. Great.

I go to drown my anxieties in beer at my aunts', when they ask, 'Did you have it at home?' LIGHTBULB! I call my brother and sure enough, it's on the coffee table.

As for trip prep, today I took my malaria pill prescription in to get filled, but they didn't have enough on stock, so I have to go get it on Wednesday. I have to start taking it this upcoming weekend because I need to be on it for about three weeks before I leave. I'll be honest- I am a little worried about my reaction to it. Some of the side effects reported include vivid dreams, inability to sleep, and hallucinations. I am trying not to get myself worked up over it cause then it might cause me to overreact, but at the same time, I am not always the most mentally stable person, lol. Anyone want to have a sleepover on Sunday night? Who knows, maybe I'll see dead people, haha.

The other things on my list this week for the trip: more shots tomorrow (influenza and cholera), buy a suitcase, Costco run (pit stick, vitamins, advil/aspirin/pepto bismol, toothbrushes/toothpaste, shampoo), get my contract signed and sent off with my yellow fever cert., voided cheque and passport photo for visa app. Also, I have to get some more stuff sorted out, what am I selling and what I'm keeping.

Tonight I futilely attempted to get in touch with many friends that I haven't spoken to in a while. The summer sucks for reaching out and touching someone! It is an area of my life I have been really bad at keeping up on and I apologize to my friends for that, but at the same time, I am leaving in a month for a place where it's gonna be a lot harder to talk to me.....(this is where you are all supposed to feel guilty).....

And I really wanted to speak to my coffee bitch (you know who you are!). Frig man, I haven't heard your voice in over a month- I am suffering from withdrawls! If you are reading this, and I haven't talked to you yet, CALL ....ME....NOW. It's been too long and secondhand news ain't gonna cut it anymore!
posted by angelina @ 7:58 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Me, Myself, and I

Alias: angelina
Where I'm at: Kpandai, Northern Region, Ghana
In 500 words or less: I am now done my schoolin' and you may all call me Master! I'm currently livin it up in a small town in Northern Ghana, and it's a blast being the only 'obruni' (white) in town!
Step into my mind, if you dare
Previous Whinings
The Closet
Shoutbox

'Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.' ~ Tehyi, Hsieh

My Faves
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER