Four walls and a keyboard
'I love talking about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about.' ~ Oscar Wilde
Thursday, August 17, 2006
Pity the gibble fisted
Who shuns left-handedness? Ghanaians do! I've been reading a bit more on customs and traditions in Ghana and it is apparently very very bad to do ANYTHING with your left hand, like point at objects or people, give and recieve gifts, eat, wave...you name it, you can't do it with your left hand. Like other countries, the left hand is reserved for 'dirty' acts, like bathroom breaks, and to use that hand for other things is a sign of disrespect. It is so bad that local men will drape their kente cloth toward the left, and drape it over their left hand, as a reminder to not use that hand.

So that kind of leaves me in a tricky sitch....I'll have to write with my left hand, no getting around that, but that whole eating thing is gonna be difficult as I am not proficient at using a fork with my right hand. So the Ghanaian 'diet' just got better.....no sugar, no beer, and I'll forced to eat super super slow.
posted by angelina @ 8:38 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Me, Myself, and I

Alias: angelina
Where I'm at: Kpandai, Northern Region, Ghana
In 500 words or less: I am now done my schoolin' and you may all call me Master! I'm currently livin it up in a small town in Northern Ghana, and it's a blast being the only 'obruni' (white) in town!
Step into my mind, if you dare
Previous Whinings
The Closet
Shoutbox

'Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.' ~ Tehyi, Hsieh

My Faves
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER